The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5809 Hydro-Plus Resistance Rower has both magnetic and water resistance systems. The water tank is positioned 60 degrees (just as the hydro phantom rower) Instead of the conventional flat position.
Hence, it is believed to provide dynamic and very challenging workouts than average rowing machines. In other words, the resistance system pushes you to work out in a whole new dimension for expedited results.
The padded handlebar is positioned to provide a full range of motions with each stroke.
Moreover, users can easily mount and dismount the rowing machine without struggle because the floor to seat height is 15.5’’ high.
The console is telemetric, and the monitor displays multiple workout data simultaneously.
Click right here to have a peek at the best price of the Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5809 Hydro-Plus Resistance Rower on Amazon.
Table of Contents
The Frame & Construction
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5809 Hydro-Plus Resistance Rower has a flat rail design.
The rear support is vertical, while the front support is inclined. They have steel stabilizers with adjustable levelers for a stable workout experience.
However, the use of a rubberized protective mat prevents slippage or sliding of the unit during workouts.
The frame is made of steel and coated with anti-corrosion gray paint, and the water tank is made of polycarbonate material, while the housing for the magnetic resistance system is made of ABS.
Thus, the rowing machine looks elegant and supports a maximum user weight capacity of 275 lbs./124.7 kg.
When it comes to size, this unit is not nearly the largest. Nevertheless, it occupies more space than an indoor cycling bike does.
The overall assembled dimensions are 77.2’’ long by 18.9’’ wide by 44.1’’ high. To put it differently, an area with measurements of 196 cm (6’43’’) length by 48 cm (1’57’’) width is going to be required.
Moreover, additional clearance of 2’ on both sides will be necessary for ease of access and safety during workouts.
Since this is a foldable rowing machine, it requires less space for storage. The folded dimensions are 44.1’’ long by 18.9’’ wide by 77.2’’ high. Although, it could also be stored vertically by leaning it against the wall with water inside the tank.
Also, even though it weighs 73.6 lbs./33.38 kg, it can easily be moved from one spot to another in the room via the integrated transport wheels.
The Seat of the Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5809 Hydro-Plus Resistance Rower
The seat is large (11.5’’ L x 14.5’’ W x 2’’ H), contoured, textured, and padded. This means it prevents users from slipping off during workouts and instead, promotes stability and comfort.
Its base is made of steel, and it incorporates 3 ball bearings. They are attached to the 46.9’’ slide rail with 2 of the ball bearings at the top of the rail while the 3rd is at the bottom for stable, smooth, and quiet gliding motion.
The rail supports a maximum inseam height of 41.3’’. What this means is that taller individuals can exercise without experiencing full leg stretch restriction.
As aforementioned, the floor to seat height is 15.5’’. This is good for easy entry and exit.
The handlebar is padded to prevent calluses and lengthy enough to be suitable for users of different shoulder sizes.
It provides enduring, secure, and comfortable grips that will ultimately enable you to train longer.
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5809 comes with a set of pivoting, large and non-slip pedals.
They have adjustable Velcro safety straps and heel guards that keep the feet in place for maximum stability and comfort.
As they pivot during a workout, they offer flexibility that soothes the ankles, thereby reducing stress.
The resistance system of the Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5809 Hydro-Plus Resistance Rower is unique, or at least not common.
It has a dual resistance system that consists of water resistance and magnetic resistance. The latter is supplementary but still makes a huge difference in terms of the workout intensity you will be getting.
The water-resistance system is dynamic with limitless resistance levels.
While on the other hand, the magnetic resistance system has 16 adjustable levels and comprises a magnetic board, a wheel, and the tension knob for resistance adjustment.
In this case, resistance is generated when the magnetic board gets close to the wheel and emits magnetic fields without contact or friction. The resistance becomes more or less intense when the magnetic board is closer or farther away from the wheel.
To increase or decrease the resistance level, simply turn the tension knob clockwise or counterclockwise, respectively.
The water tank has 16 hydro-blade paddles that swirl the water. This makes a swoosh soothing sound that mimics paddling through the lake.
Therefore, the rowing machine is home-friendly because it doesn’t make a distracting or annoying sound.
Finally, the water and magnetic resistance combination pushes you to the limit and gets you out of your comfort zone for a real physical fitness change.
A funnel and a siphon pump are included for easy removal and filling in of water into the tank.
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5809 Hydro-Plus Resistance Rower is equipped with a somewhat advanced console that features a digital monitor that could track workout stats such as Time, Time/500M, Distance, Strokes, Total Strokes, Calories Burned, and Pulse simultaneously.
It does also show Race stats since there is a Racing function that features 15 Race programs.
The LCD monitor is not backlit. Therefore, to ensure that the display is read without any problem, view it in a well-lit environment.
Interestingly, the console is compatible with any 5.3 kHz wireless HR chest strap device (sold separately) for heart rate tracking.
There is a Recovery Function that will automatically evaluate your fitness status at the end of a workout. The result is usually between F1 (excellent) to F6 (poor). Again, this can only work when a wireless HR chest strap is worn during a workout.
It is also possible to set a goal (countdown) for Time, Distance, Calories, Strokes, or Pulse.
The monitor is powered by 2AA batteries (included), and it swivels for a better view. So, you can easily adjust it as you see fit.
It is very easy to insert or replace the batteries. To do so, open the batteries’ compartment that is at the back of the console, insert, remove, or replace the batteries.
The monitor goes to sleep after 4 minutes of an idle moment. But comes back alive when activity resumes.
This rower incorporates a tablet holder right at the top of the console. The positioning is strategic because the digital monitor doesn’t get blocked when you decide to place a smartphone/tablet device on the holder.
Thus, you can watch series of workout videos Sunny Health & Fitness has provided online and still be able to keep an eye on your workout progress.
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5809 Hydro-Plus Resistance Rower is foldable and transportable. Hence, storage is easy and convenient.
You can easily fold it up after a workout session and roll it away via the transport wheels at the front base to where ever it is you intend to store it.
If you like, you can also store it upright with water in the tank by leaning it against the wall without folding it.
Whichever way you decide to store it, it won’t take up much space.
- Solidly built to last
- Stable and transportable
- Supports a maximum user weight capacity of 275 lbs./124.6 kg
- It provides full body and low-impact cardiovascular workouts that engage over 85% of the body muscle groups
- It has a dual-resistance system that comprises water resistance and magnetic resistance; this means that the rowing machine is suitable for users of all ages and fitness levels
- The console is telemetry-enabled; compatible with a 5.3 kHz HR chest strap transmitter (not included)
- The digital monitor tracks workout stats such as Time, Time/500M, Stroke, Total Stroke, Calories, Distance, Pulse, and more
- It has a Recovery Function that evaluates the health status of your heart at the end of a workout
- There are 15 Racing Programs
- Goal setting for Time, Distance, Calories, Stroke, or Pulse
- The rower supports up to 41.3’’ inseam height; meaning a tall individual can work out with it
- The floor to seat height is 15.5’’; good for easy entry and exit
- The seat is large, contoured, and padded
- The pedals are large and textured with adjustable safety straps and heel guards, thus, they can accommodate different food sizes securely and comfortably
- The padded handlebar provides secure and comfortable grips
- Assembly is not difficult
- Maintenance is minimal
- A funnel and a siphon pump are included in the package for filling and removal of water from the tank
- A tablet holder included
- No water bottle holder
- HR chest strap to be purchased separately
- No online app connectivity
- 3 Years for Frame
- 180 Months for Parts and Components
Product Dimensions & Specifications
- Length: 77.2’’
- Width: 18.9’’
- Height: 44.1’’
- Folded dimensions: 44.1’’ L x 18.9’’ W x 77.2’’ H
- Shipping dimensions: 37’’ L x 11.2’’ W x 39.6’’ H
- Net weight: 73.6 lbs./33.38 kg
- Gross weight: 85.3 lbs./38.69 kg
- Maximum user weight capacity: 275 lbs./124.6 kg
- Maximum inseam height: 41.3’’
- Slide rail inseam: 46.9’’
- Frame: Steel
- Drive: Belt
- Primary resistance: Dynamic water resistance with 16 hydro-blades
- Supplementary resistance: Magnetic with 16 adjustable levels
- Console: Swivel digital multi-functional monitor, Telemetry-enabled & compatible with 5.3 kHz Heart Rat Strap (sold separately)
- 15 Racing programs
- Recovery Function
- Goal setting for Time, Distance, Calories, Strokes, and Pulse
- Tablet holder included
- Transport wheels included
- Seat: Large (11.5’’ L x 14.5’’ W x 2’’ H), contoured, and padded
- Handlebar: Padded and straight
- Pedals: Large, anti-slip with adjustable Velcro safety straps and heel guards
- Funnel & Siphon pump included
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5809 Hydro-Plus Resistance Rower ships out in a box that weighs 85.3 lbs./38.69 kg with dimensions of 37’’ long by 11.2’’ wide by 39.6’’ high.
It qualifies for free shipping by vendors such as Amazon.
The assembly is straightforward even though it might seem overwhelming after seeing the parts to be assembled.
Mainly, you are expected to attach the stabilizers, the pedals, the seat, the rail, the water tank, and the console to the main core unit.
Do not worry about how to go about doing this because a clear illustrated instruction manual accompanies the unit, and tools are even included as well.
The maintenance involved is mainly to keep the rowing machine clean after every workout session. Inspect it before use to ensure that all the parts are good and none is broken or loose.
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5809 Hydro-Plus Resistance Rower is a decent rowing machine for home use because it is cost-effective.
It has a solid and well-built frame and a console that is telemetric.
It integrates a dual resistance system that features water resistance and magnetic resistance. This in my opinion is a deal maker.
This rower does not only improves your cardiovascular health but also hits the right muscle groups in the body.